We all love having a good time relaxing, and nothing screams luxury more than having a therapeutic session in a hot tub. Hot tubs have been in existence since the early days of Egyptian civilization, about 4,000 years ago. Nowadays, they have become commonplace and are a necessity to most people.
The key to having a superb hot tub experience is investing in the best hot tub cover. It goes a long way in ensuring the longevity of your hot tub and proves economical in the long haul.
This article will discuss everything you need to know about hot tub covers.
HOW TO GET THE BEST HOT TUB COVER
Generally, all hot tub covers are made using solid foam cores wrapped with vinyl, faux leather, or PVC materials. Depending on the type of cover, the foam core may have more than one layer to ensure the hot tub remains warm for the best user experience.
When selecting the best cover for a hot tub, it all boils down to the price and whether it suits the user’s comfort. Other factors to consider while buying a hot tub cover include safety locks, vapor barriers, foam density and thickness, C-Channel, and R-Values. Here are some of the commonly available covers in the market today.
- Hard Hot Tub Covers: it is the most commonly sought-after cover by consumers. They comprise a dense foam core in between vinyl sheets. Additionally, they come with a bi-folding structure that requires a cover lifter for easy access. In terms of energy conservation, they are the best.
- Soft Hot Tub Covers: They are the least expensive spa covers. Most are made from polyester canvas which is lightweight and waterproof. They are less efficient than their hardcover counterparts in terms of energy conservation.
- Aluminum Hot Tub Covers: These comprise a Styrofoam core covered with two aluminum panels. They are waterproof, but bearing in mind aluminum is a good heat conductor, they do a poor job retaining your hot tub’s warmth.
- Smartop Hot Tub Covers: These are similar to the aluminum ones but come with an additional feature. They are fitted with hydraulic lifters, which make their usability easier, especially for people who despise the manual labor associated with covering hot tubs.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE OF HOT TUB COVERS
Maintaining hot tub covers is essential to get your money’s worth. Achieving this requires cover owners to practice reasonable cover preservation procedures.
First, covers should always remain closed whenever the hot tub is not used to maximize energy efficiency. Second, one should always use the straps accompanying covers to keep them firmly locked whenever they enclose hot tubs.
Shovels should be frowned upon in places where snowing is expected, as they can damage the cover. Most importantly, having a UV protector around your cover is mandatory to prevent damage from sunlight.
When cleaning hot tub covers, the following steps are necessary.
- Unhinge the cover from the hot tub and place it on a flat surface near a water source.
- Clean the underside of the cover with water to wash away tub chemicals
- Flip to the top side and clean it. Washing the upper side of the cover should be more thorough and done with chemicals recommended by manufacturers.
- Once done cleaning, use an absorbent rag to clear excess cleansing materials and leave the cover to dry.
- Upon drying, spray the cover with an ultra-violet vinyl protection compound.
BENEFITS OF QUALITY HOT TUB COVERS
Investing in a first-rate hot tub cover always comes with numerous merits. These benefits include but are not limited to:
- Keeping water clean: This is the most fundamental reason which pushes hot tub owners to invest in covers. Hot tub covers prevent water pollution by debris, insects, dirt, and chemicals that may seep in whenever tubs are left open. In cases where the hot tub is outdoors, a cover is a must-have for that excellent hot tub experience brought about by using clean hot tub water.
- Covers help save money: Although this seems a bit far-fetched due to cover prices, it always proves true in the long run. All covers prevent water evaporation from tubs, which greatly saves money on water bills and chemicals used to treat hot tub water. Another prominent feature of any superior hot tub cover is superb insulation, which makes them energy efficient, saving on one’s electric bill.
- Protecting your hot tub: Hot tubs have many components, such as jets, that aid in their functionality. Leaving a hot tub open leaves all these components at the mercy of the elements and are prone to damage and a shorter life span. Investing in durable covers prevents damage occasioned by outside factors.
- Enhanced safety: All covers come with straps that allow users to lock them. These straps act as a safety feature as they prevent accidents from happening. For instance, children and pets can drown in uncovered hot tubs.
WHEN TO REPLACE YOUR COVER
Generally, most hot tub covers can last for about 3 – 5 years. Cover life span is dependent on various factors ranging from Mother Nature to maintenance. For example, UV sun rays are the primary cause of hot tub cover damage.
Following the cleaning guidelines and maintenance protocols mentioned above is critical to ensure a cover lasts longer. Additionally, having a hot tub surrounded by a form of construction such as a patio is advised for anyone who wants their cover to last long. Here are some signs that say it’s time for a new hot tub cover.
- Malfunctioning straps and locks on covers.
- A torn or cracked cover.
- A saggy and heavy cover.
- A cover leaves a loose seal at the top of the hot tub.
OUR FINAL VERDICT
For any hot tub enthusiast, having a top-notch cover is a must. One should always ensure their cover is operating at peak capacity to reap the benefits of their investment.
Most importantly, hot tub owners should familiarize themselves with the workings of covers for that optimum hot tub experience.
Also, knowing when to get a new cover is essential to keeping finances used in hot tubs at the lower limits.